Man left with third-degree burns after his vape battery EXPLODED in his pocket

- Ιουλίου 04, 2010
Man left with volleyball-sized third-degree burn after his vape battery exploded in his pocket said the pain was worse than when he was run over by a car
  • WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
  • Nader Harb said his vape exploding was worse pain than being run over
  • Doctors said he could have died after the battery set his clothes on fire
  • He is suing South Korea-based LG Chem, which produces the battery 
A man suffered a volleyball-sized third-degree burn on his thigh after a spare battery for his vaping device exploded in his pocket.

Nader Harb, of Cleveland, Ohio, was setting up for the day at the butcher shop he works at when the LGHG2 battery in his right pocket burst into flames.

According to his lawsuit filed against the battery maker LG Chem, Harb says he 'literally drop[ped] to the ground, roll[ed], and [put] out the fire' before he realized it was his vape.

He was whisked off to hospital, where burn specialists treated him for second- and third-degree burns that took up most of this right thigh.

Harb said the incident nearly killed him, and it was worse than being run over by a car.

Nader Harb, of Cleveland, Ohio, was setting up for the day at the butcher shop he works at when the LGHG2 battery in his right pocket burst into flames
Nader Harb, of Cleveland, Ohio, was setting up for the day at the butcher shop he works at when the LGHG2 battery in his right pocket burst into flames

Burn specialists treated him for second- and third-degree burns that took up most of this right thigh
Burn specialists treated him for second- and third-degree burns that took up most of this right thigh

Harb was using a battery manufactured by LG Chem, which also makes LG phones
Harb was using a battery manufactured by LG Chem, which also makes LG phones
 

'The pain, I never felt before,' Harb told WKYC.

'I mean, I got cut by machines, I got run over by a car, I've never seen pain like this.'

He has now filed a lawsuit against LG, the South Korean electronics company that owns the battery provider.

It is hardly the first case against LG Chem and rivals such as Samsung and WISMEC USA, who also produce e-cigarette batteries.

Earlier this year, 24-year-old William Brown of Fort Worth, Texas, died after his e-cigarette exploded in his face, severing an artery in his neck.

In May 2017, a man using an LG Chem vape was hospitalized for 11 days after his battery exploded, damaging his leg and genitalia.

Harb says he 'literally drop[ped] to the ground, roll[ed], and [put] out the fire' before he realized it was his vape that caused the fire
Harb says he 'literally drop[ped] to the ground, roll[ed], and [put] out the fire' before he realized it was his vape that caused the fire

'I mean, I got cut by machines, I got run over by a car, I've never seen pain like this,' Harb said
'I mean, I got cut by machines, I got run over by a car, I've never seen pain like this,' Harb said

Harb's clothes were burned right through after his battery device exploded
Harb's clothes were burned right through after his battery device exploded 

Also in May 2017, a woman's underwear, pants, and shirt caught fire after her Samsung SDI battery exploded in her purse.

Harb's attorney, Tom Merriman, said: 'This is the wild, wild west these batteries, there's virtually no regulation, the FDA's come up with rules focused on the health effects of vaping and the issue of whether teenagers can be vaping, but there is no regulation on the device itself or the batteries.

'Imagine if this happened in the middle of the night, imagine if he's asleep or there's a family with kids, a house full of kids we could be talking about a far more serious tragedy.'
 

Πληκτρολογηστε και πατηστε αναζητηση